Monday, January 16, 2012

DIY: madewell inspired necklace.


I have to admit that ever since I purchased about 1456546 different types of glitter to complete my DIY glitter boots I've definitely been searching for other places to use it. I was thrilled when one of my supervisors came to work wearing Madewell's shimmer sphere necklace. I knew I had to try to make it. I modified the necklace slightly because, not to be redundant, but I am impatient. Glitter was a much quicker alternative to placing on countless rhinestones.


The items required for this project were a cheap $4 necklace from Forever21 (ditched the pendant and used the chain. Surprisingly, this turned out to be a cheaper alternative than buying a ridiculously long length of chain at the craft store), gold or bronze spray paint, mod-podge, and of course -- glitter!

This was a slightly more difficult craft project. I have a background involving power tools which enabled me to make my own beads when I couldn't find the perfect one at the crafts store. I purchased round 1" wooden balls and drilled out the holes myself. This was the only thing that was a challenge, after the holes were drilled it was easy sailing. I spray-painted the beads gold, allowed them to dry, then dipped half the bead into Mod-podge, then into glitter. Once the Mod-podge and glitter had dried I sprayed them with a light layer of clear gloss acrylic sealer just to make sure the glitter wouldn't rub off on my shirts. Then it was a matter of threading the beads onto the chain and wearing it.

This project ended up pretty far away from where it started. I used much larger spheres, less of them and subbed in glitter for rhinestones. I still really like the outcome though. I just took a good idea and modified it. Thanks, Madewell.

1 comment:

  1. very creative. maybe you could sell it to your friends and gain some money with your talent ;)

    lutfifadhilastale.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete